Who are the Yazidis and why don't they eat lettuce?
April 21, 2018
Who are the Yazidis and why don't they eat lettuce? This was the initial question that sparked this topic, leading to the question about exploring who the Yazidis are and what is their story? This
presentation dives into understanding the history, culture, beliefs, and practices of the Yazidi people.
Sources & Future References
- Yazda - Global Yazidi Organization - https://www.yazda.org/
- Lifting Hands International (volunteer opportunities) - https://www.liftinghandsinternational.org/
- Acikyildiz, Birgul. The Yezidis: The History of a Community, Culture
and Religion. London, United Kingdom: I.B.Tauris, 2014.
- Asatrian, Garnik S. & Victoria Arekelova. The Religion of the PeacockAngel: The Yazidis and their Spiritual World. Routledge Press: 2014.
- Fuccaro, Nelida. The Other Kurds: Yezidis in Colonial Iraq. New York:
I.B. Tauris Publishers & Co Ltd, 1999.
- Edmonds, C.J. A Pilgrimage to Lalish. Psychology Press: 2002.
- Guest, John S. The Yezidis: A Study in Survival. London and New York:
KPI Limited, 1987.
- Murad, Nadia. The Last Girl: My Story of Captivity, and My Fight
against the Islamic State. New York: Tim Duggan Books, 2017.
- Shand, Susan. 14 Days to Saving the Yazidis from Islamic State. Lyons
- Roberts, Adam. “The Yazidi and the Responsibility to Protect.” M.A.
Dissertation, University of Oregon, 2016.
- Kizilhan, J. I. (2017). The Yazidi—Religion, Culture and Trauma. Advances in Anthropology , 7, 333 339. https://doi.org/10.4236/aa.2017.74019
If you would like to contact the presenter directly, please email us at afikra and we will connect you!